Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Plan

Here's what I've come up with to help me lose weight. I'm going to start out with sticking to 1400 calories a day. I did some research that says 1200 calories is about the lowest recommended amount of calories you should restrict yourself to. I'm aiming just above that just in case I hit a plateau and need to make a change to break the stalemate. No food will be strictly off-limits; however, I'm going to try my best not to make a habit of eating junk, even if it is low in calories. My plan is to eat things high in fiber and low in fat and sugar. When dinner rolls around, my intention is to fill my plate up with more veggies and less meat and starches. I'll also consume more fruits as  snacks and make a change to skim dairy products. Although I really hate water, I'm going to try to drink more of it. I'm also going to take a daily multi-vitamin. It probably won't help me lose weight, but it will make me feel better.

I love soda, so I'm going to make my reward for sticking to my plan a trip to the convenience store for one 20 oz. at the end of each week. Past experience has proven that I can't keep soda in the house without drinking it, so I think this will be a good way to have it without going overboard. I gave up my soda drinking habit for Lent, so I know I can handle only having it once a week.

For exercise, I'll be doing three things. First will be a series of leg strengthening rehabilitation exercises my doctor suggested for my patellofemoral pain syndrome. I've had the pamphlet on these exercises for a little over a month and haven't used it. The exercises will make my knees feel better and tone up my thighs, so now's as good a time as any to start. Second will be a ten-minute ab workout from my Exercise On Demand channel. The third will be (since the weather is nice again) a daily walk to the post office. It's about two blocks from my house, so if I walk with a purpose instead of just leisurely strolling, and I avoid taking shortcuts, I'll be able to get my heart rate up for about 15 minutes during the trip. I'm considering an additional walk in the evenings, but for now, this will be a dramatic improvement in my activity level.

In order to keep myself on track, I'll be keeping a food journal that lists how much of everything I eat and how many calories I've consumed. Since I believe in the power of positive thinking, I'll also be reciting a daily weight loss affirmation to keep me motivated. I would post it, but it's kind of personal, so I'll just keep it to myself.

So there's my plan. It's not fancy, but I think it'll work. I'm starting first thing tomorrow. Here's to a better me!

No comments: